What is the perfect partner for Georgie Porgie’s traditional Christmas pudding? Whether you prefer a proper English custard or a Christmas rum sauce, this Christmas spiced custard sauce gives you the best of both worlds! With hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and mace, these delicious, warming flavours are perfect for the upcoming winter months!
150ml full-fat milk
250ml double cream
Pinch nutmeg (freshly ground)
1/2 cinnamon stick
55g caster sugar
6 large egg yolks
1 vanilla pod (split and seeds removed)
1. Begin by putting the milk, cream and spices into a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and then lower the heat to simmer. Cook this for 5 minutes to allow the spices to infuse into the milk.
2. Place the sugar and egg yolks into a bowl and whisk either with an electric or hand whisk. Do this until the mixture is light and frothy. The egg yolks should turn pale in colour when they are whisked enough.
3. Use a sieve to strain the milk and spices.
4. Continue to whisk the eggs while pouring the warm, christmas-spiced custard in.
5. Strain the custard sauce, through a sieve a second time and put it back into the saucepan.
6. Once the custard sauce is back in the saucepan, add the vanilla pod seeds and keep stirring over low heat. Once the custard starts to thicken, remove the spiced custard from the heat.
7. Pass through a sieve again to ensure it is smooth.
8. Now enjoy your Christmas spiced custard sauce over your Georgie Porgie’s traditional Christmas pudding!
Thanks to www.kjokkenutstyr.net for the photo.