We all have our favourite puddings and sponges, and we also have our favourite toppings. Brandy butter, double cream, or custard? We’ve got a recipe that will give you the perfect custard every time, and a few tips to make it even more special.
You will need:
- 600ml/1 pint whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 eggs, yolks only
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- Heat the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan until it is just boiling
- Mix the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together in a bowl to get a smooth paste
- Pour the milk over the mixture and stir well
- Remove, wash and dry the vanilla pod as this can be used again!
- Strain the mixture back into the saucepan and stir constantly until the custard thickens
If you want to go the extra mile, why not add some wintery flavours like cinnamon or nutmeg to the mix? Or to give the custard a caramel flavour, use golden caster sugar!